I’m starting a new category on the blog talking about stuff that I want to talk about which is How We Work – I find this type of stuff really interesting and because we like to attract people, clients and work that we love I figure that if I talk about stuff that I love that might just do it.
So today you’re getting a peek into my work bag. And yes, I realize that I am an organized junkie – if you saw how much I actually do on a daily basis you would recognize that the ONLY (that’s no exaggeration – that’s legit) way I get everything done is by being this level of organized. Was I always this way? Not to this extent but I have no time to be hunting for my keys anymore so they needed a home.
- I use a Mac Book Air – I love this thing – I have it backed up on a weekly basis and that is redundant on a physical hard drive and on the cloud. It’s fast – it’s light – it fits in all of my favorite purses which makes it perfection. I use a laptop sleeve from Acme Made.
- iPad Mini – it’s the device I use when I’m waiting – I use Feedly to read blogs and that happens a lot on the iPad – I also have the Kindle app for books (looking for a good read check out Twin Turbulence from the hilarious and candid Kristin Myers) and I use it for testing resolution on mobile devices. When I need to decompress I play this game called Forty Theives and it’s addictive and you will lose 98% of the time but when you win that is a sweet sweet victory.
- Bose Noise Canceling Headphones. They have a microphone which makes it the perfect thing to use when taking conference calls in busy airports or in shared spaces – I’m not distracted by the background and people can hear me clearly.
- Note Cards (made by the crazy talented Amy Rau) I love them and they’re perfect for to-do lists like my Wegmans shopping trip (sorry – I hate apps for lists).
- My hot pink clutch (from Banana Republic) is the perfect size for my wallet, iPhone and keys. I can’t tell you how many times I was hunting for my keys or my phone. Now it’s easy and if I’m running out and I don’t need my huge bag I have everything at the ready. This is the thing that I resisted most and now three weeks later I feel foolish.
- Business cards – we use Moo Cards for our business cards – the quality is fantastic, the turn around is great and I just plain like how they do business.
- Pens & Highlighters – I tried really hard to get on board with the LightScribe so that my notes could be uploaded easily but I am the most finicky person about pens you will ever meet (I make no apologies for my love of office supplies). The pen that you MUST have right now: The Zebra pen with stylus – it writes like a dream. I do not joke about these things.
- Chargers. The thing that you should know about me is that my phone is almost always nearly dead. Do I hate apple and what they’ve done to me with their 15 minutes battery life? Yes. Will I ever change? No. Why? Because Siri now understands me. Because of this I have two iDevice chargers – a little guy that will give me one full re-juice that fits in my clutch and the grand daddy charger that will do 3 iPhone charges and an iPad mini charge.
- Then you’ve got the containment system which is honestly a game changer for wrangling all of that stuff which is called a Grid-It and I saw it for the first time at CES a few years ago. This thing is now a necessity. And under the Grid-It is my notebook – I always have a notebook with me where I capture the full to do list and I’ve been using this system lately which is basically a more organized version of what I had been doing for the past decade.
So there you have it. Any questions? What would you like to know about How We Work?