On Thursday I was at the school district with Lexi so that she could be evaluated for Kindergarten* and it was the last day of school. The air of summer vacation was extravagant, contagious and like the financial bubble of 2008. The kids were quite literally skipping through the halls – the teachers were high-fiving and talking about their plans to car-pool the summer away. We left the building exhuberant HIGH on summer vacation energy.
And then. (dum dum dum)
I had to get my shit back together to have a day of work.
Wah? This hardly seemed fair. And I actually love my job. (I really really do). So I thought in that moment THIS is the topic of our weekly pep talk.
Five Ways you can Reclaim that Summer Vacation Feeling at your J-O-B
- Clean our your locker. You don’t have a locker? Clean out your desk. Recycle. Stop hoarding office supplies that you don’t like – only hoard things you LOVE.
- Put your proper work bag away and throw that laptop in a a beach bag. For my dude friends – lets hook you up with a messenger style bag worthy of your inner surf dude.
- Mark your vacation days on your calendar and do not work on them. You know who reads this blog? People like me. Do you know who this one is really for? Us. Me. You. Seriously – we need to turn it OFF – its summa babeh
- At the beginning of your week make a list of three things that MUST happen that week – they must be IMPORTANT. Do them. And when those three things are done you’ll feel more equipped to enjoy your weekends…maybe even make them long ones!
- Think about what gave you great joy in summer vacations in your youth – was it popsicles dripping down you arms, jumping in the lake, drive-in movies, ice cream for dinner, reading under a tree? Make some time for that stuff. If only in pockets you can have a dreamy summer vacation.
*brand new drinking game: every time I say kindergarten I take a shot! I’m nearly 70% kidding….okay it’s like 53%